Who am I?
Hello everyone. My name is Janine and I live in Cape Town, South Africa. I am thirty-something years old and I work in the media industry. I am married to a wonderful man. He has given me a beautiful daughter who has miniature versions of my hands and his big heart. She surprises both of us every day with her intelligence, curiosity and love. Our home is also shared by two very spoiled cats – they own the place, we just live here!
What do I like?
I like sunshine, flowers, fields of green grass, good food, good wine and good company. I like the feeling of sand between my toes; the feeling of water against my skin; the feeling of a man’s arms around me. I like morning walks through the neighbourhood, midday walks through the garden, evening walks on the beach. I like falling asleep to the sound of rain on the window. I like waking up to the sound of a boiling kettle. Chocolate is my weakness.
I am most comfortable in jeans and a T-shirt. I prefer being barefoot and there are only eight pairs of shoes in my wardrobe. I don’t get the chance to dress up very often, and that’s perfectly fine with me, but I keep my little black number and strappy heels in reserve anyway.
I devour books, movies and music. So much so that sentences, lines and lyrics stay with me long after I have put down the novel, walked out of the cinema or turned off the CD player.
Why did I start this blog?
I kept a diary in high school and during my tertiary studies, but when I started working as a journalist, I stopped writing down my thoughts and concentrated on what others had to say. I am hoping to remedy the situation through this blog and I look forward to engaging with friends and strangers from around the world.
Twenty things to know about me…
- I am barefoot 99% of the time.
- I am an amateur wildlife photographer. Emphasis on the word “amateur”.
- I like calligraphy, glitter pens, crayons and coloured paper. My daughter and I spend many hours honing our creative talents.
- I am new to the world of scrapbooking, but it rocks!
- I never dance in public.
- I am obsessed with bath products. Cleopatra reportedly bathed in milk, but I reckon that’s pushing the envelope. Give me salts! Give me oils! Give me bubbles!
- I’ve been a waitress, a library administrator, a desktop publisher and a proofreader. I wanted to study architecture, but ended up in media. It’s a long story.
- I doodle on serviettes and sales receipts. It’s a compulsive thing.
- I know my way around the kitchen. Gourmet? Um, no. Hearty, homemade nosh? Yes, absolutely!
- I wish I could travel more.
- My husband has my name tattooed on his forearm.
- My CD rack is running out of space. My DVD rack is running out of space. My books are already lying all over the house.
- I think chocolate is the answer to many of life’s questions.
- I’ve ridden a camel. They spit. And they take a really long time to pee. And when you’re riding one, you’re a lot higher off the ground than you realise.
- I don’t think you really know how to curse until you’ve worked in a newsroom. Most of the journalists I know swear like troopers. It’s the most elegant profanity you’ll ever hear.
- Good manners mean a lot to me.
- I like wine. Living in Cape Town means having vineyards almost on your doorstep. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not! Anyway, I prefer white wine in the summer and red wine in the winter.
- I think perspective is a great teacher.
- My favourite movie of all time is The Princess Bride. If you can quote Inigo Montoya to me, then we can be friends.
- I like to write letters. Real letters. Paper and envelopes and stamps. Email is quick and easy, I know, but there’s nothing like a handwritten letter. It’s tangible and intimate and often conveys so much more than words.